Work Authorization


An Employment Authorization Document (EAD) (Form I-765) is a document that authorizes an eligible foreign national to work in the United States for a temporary period of time, usually for one year. This document is also sometimes known as a work permit. The EAD, or work permit, is issued in the form of a laminated card with basic information about the foreign national (name, photo, birth date, sex, immigrant category, alien registration number, card number, restrictive terms and conditions, and the card’s expiration date).

With an EAD, a foreign national may legally work in the United States for any employer until the expiration date is reached. A foreign national may be authorized to work for a specific employer even if he or she does not have an EAD. For example, a foreign national with a valid employment status visa, such as an H-1B, L-2, or O-1, is able to work for a specific employer without the need for work authorization and EAD card.

If you are seeking work authorization, please contact Somair S. Alam, Esq. at or at (646) 598-9824 for further information.